Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Nutrition: A Key to Success


Since I hope to one day participate in the Olympics, I make sure I do things that will be beneficial to my development both as a hockey player and athlete. Health is one of the key ingredients to success and to living a comfortable lifestyle both physically and mentally. For me, it is very important and as an athlete, it is crucial I do the right things to ensure I stay healthy. 
In order to maintain a healthy lifestyle, I must ensure I consume the appropriate nutrients, especially those that will help me perform to the best of my ability. That is, I eat three well-balanced meals along with snacks every two to three hours before and after meals everyday. For me, a typical day would look like this: Breakfast – Snack – Lunch – Snack – Dinner – Snack. I make sure that I eat healthy foods that will give me the energy I need to train and perform. Also, I make sure that the snacks I eat have some source of protein. Protein is what enables me to recover quickly after practice or games - it helps my muscles recuperate and refuel. For example, a snack would be an apple, a bowl of yogurt with granola in it, and two date & oatmeal squares (homemade healthy ones). 

Nowadays, most athletes use protein supplements after physical activities because it is very convenient. Having to prepare a large snack with protein and carbohydrates and have to carry it with you everywhere when time is a factor can be annoying so it is much easier if you have a protein shake which equals the large snack. For example, I choose to use protein powder which I mix with chocolate milk or I make myself a smoothie and add some protein powder in it. Speaking of smoothie, many athletes consume smoothies for breakfast since it is the most important meal of the day, not only because it's the first meal, but also because we need a large amount of protein to be able to have the energy for the entire day. 

Though, with the increasing amount of athletes who are cheating to win, the anti-doping agency is regulating the protein supplements used, and as a result, athletes can only use those that are considered "safe" - approved by the agency. Therefore, it is important that we consume the right supplements as there could be major consequences if we do not. 

I could write a book about why nutrition is so important and how it affects an athlete's performance but I think I will simply finish by stating that most of the time success does not happen overnight. Instead, it happens over a period of time and comes from preparation, practice, skill, talent, determination, desire, and so on. What I am trying to say is that there are many factors which come into play, and all those combined, create success. One of those factors is nutrition. The more you take care of your body and prepare yourself accordingly for competitions, the more successful you will be...of course without forgetting about all the other factors that play a significant role. 

1 comment: