Wednesday, October 31, 2012

My Student-Athlete Life

Being a student-athlete is never easy, especially when studying in a highly-reputated university such as McGill. I am very fortunate to be given the opportunity to study at a well-known university and at the same time, play the sport I love. Though, with such opportunity comes many challenges. Those challenges are not easy, but with great determination and discipline, they are achievable.

First, I will immediately say that every day, every week, every month is a difficult challenge. For instance, it is difficult to juggle both hockey and school, anyone on my team would tell you that. With practices 4 days a week that run from 1 to 2 hours long, and multiple games on weekends that often require long bus rides and late nights, its hard to find extra time for studying. Time management skills are something that all student athletes need to possess, and even more so when attending an excellent but challenging university like McGill.

While it can be stressful and exhausting to have such a busy and active schedule, there are a lot of benefits to playing on a varsity team. For example, I did not have the same fears that other first year students may have had about making friends and meeting people, because I knew I would have 20 immediate friends on my team! Many lifelong friendships are created through experiences like mine and I'm sure that in 20 years, I will still be friends with some of my teammates.

McGill Martlets 2012-2013

Another example would be the times when I may feel tired and not feeling like doing anything, especially homework, I still manage to find that extra bit of energy as I know that I am in the same boat as the other 20 athletes on my team. This will be beneficial when I enter the work force where I most likely would have long work days and additional responsibilities.

Some people wonder how I manage to get everything done while being so busy. Well, as I mentioned early, it is important to have the skills necessary to be able to manage time efficiently. I am a person who likes to stay organized and do my school work in advance so that I don't rush at the last minute. Though, what happens when I can't do my work in advance? In this case, I must make sacrifices such as doing homework instead of watching one of my favourite TV shows or even spending a Friday or Saturday night at home instead of going to the movies with friends.

That being said, being a student-athlete comes with many challenges and sacrifices, but at the same time, comes with unforgettable memories and experiences, and lifelong friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment